4-great-fall-activities-for-youth-group

4 Great Fall Activities for Youth Group

2041

It’s always a bummer when summer comes to an end. Students are excited to be out of school and the season is always so great for outdoor events, missions trips and retreats, and it’s easy to pack a ton into those few summer months.

But it all comes to an end at some point. Students head back to school and say goodbye to free weekday mornings/afternoons.

Youth pastors often plan tons of summer and winter activities, but often the
transition seasons of spring and fall get missed. However, fall is a really incredible opportunity for youth community nights and other events! So with that in mind, here are some fall activities to consider as you plan youth group events for the upcoming season!

Corn Maze, Pumpkin Patch, and Hayrides

Missions trips, Bible studies, and retreats at Bible camps are all important, but it’s also smart to plan a few days with no objective but to hang out and have fun. And fall is the perfect season for it.

Depending on where you live, you’re options will probably be different, but keep an eye out for fall-specific opportunities like corn mazes, pumpkin patches, and hayrides. They can be a ton of fun with youth groups of all sizes, and are a fun way to celebrate the season!

Rotating Bon Fire Nights

A friend of mine’s youth group setup a rotating host bonfire night. Once a week, a different person would volunteer to host a bonfire and hangout in their yard. Students would get together in the evening at the house, play yard games, setup a bonfire, and the pastor would prepare a short 10-15 minute talk or devotional, and then everyone would just hangout for the night!

It was a great way to keep several households involved in the church and youth group by inviting everyone over, was low-cost, and a great way to enjoy the brisk fall weather!

Hike and Picnic

The cool air and colorful trees make fall nature walks a wonderful activity. If your church has any beautiful walking trails and/or state parks nearby, it would be a great idea to schedule a nature walk and picnic night.

Have everyone wear comfortable shoes and pack water, and bring a few snacks. Go on a hike through a trail and setup at a nearby park with some yard games and picnic blankets and hang out! If you wanted to incorporate worship, have someone bring a guitar and some song charts. Plan a devotional or have everyone share highs and lows for the summer, what they’re excited about for the next season, etc.

Fall provides a unique opportunity to reflect on the summer and get excited for what’s coming next! This types of community days are also a great opportunity for you as a youth pastor to share your vision for the upcoming winter season, the activities you have planned, and what you’re challenging students to do as the transition comes.

Halloween Party

I’m guessing most of us think about Halloween in some capacity when talking about fall. It’s a fun holiday, and it can be a great opportunity for youth group activities as well!

Schedule a Halloween party. Setup fun fall games, do a pumpkin carve, and watch a movie (make sure to use safe carving tools!) If you have a drive-in movie theater nearby, or a church building wall and projector to make one yourself, that can be a really fun way to setup the movie.

Chris Fleming, Author

About the Author

Chris Fleming is a professional musician from Minneapolis, MN who has played with artists such as TAYA, Big Daddy Weave, and Jason Gray. He is actively involved with the worship music scene and has contributed as a drummer, music director, song writer, and producer for various worship artists and churches locally and nationally. Chris is the Motion Designer at Motion Worship, helping to create motion background collections and countdowns for our subscribers.